6.2 -- Training Your Dog: Come, Pairing Obedience Commands, Place and Down --Session Two Place:
1. Move the dog bed to a different location in your house or yard. Place a chair 3 feet away.
2. Have your dog sitting, in heel position, 3 feet from the bed.
3. Using the place command, send your dog to the bed, then praise and reward him when he is on the bed.
4. If your dog breaks the command, calmly pick up your leash; repeat the command “Place,” immediately followed by a “Pop,” in the direction of the bed.
5.When your dog has settled, repeat steps 3 and 4.
6. After 30 seconds, walk to your dog and release him.
7. Repeat the above sequence.
1.While in the Heel position, give your dog the down command, helping him if needed.
2. Maintain this position for 30 seconds, then release him.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2, in different locations of your home or yard, for a total of 5 repetitions.
TRIPLE CROWN TIPS
When incorporating play with the come command, have your dog perform a brief sit, before releasing him to play. Do not apply remote stimulation when your dog is playing with or chasing a toy. Do not throw the toy beyond the length of your long line. Reel in your long line as your dog comes toward you, this will prevent the long line from becoming tangled. When practicing Sit, Down or Place, it is important that you always return to your dog before you release him. Our training techniques build a strong foundation that will create lasting results. Do not attempt to increase the time your dog remains in a command until he is no longer making mistakes. Sit in a chair 3 feet from bed. Repeat place command when dog breaks. “Pop and Release.” Guide dog back to bed. Dog settled into position.