9.1 -- Training Your Dog: Heel with Left Turns, Sit, Come, and Place --Session One Heel with Left Turns:
1. Have your dog sitting in the heel position.
2. Hold the leash in your left hand, so that the snap is hanging down. Hold the rest of your leash in your right hand.
3. Give the command “Heel” and walk forward.
4.With your dog in heel position, repeat the command “Heel,” while turning to your left. Immediately following the command, give your dog a “Pop,” in the direction of the turn. Your dog should move left and follow by your side.
5. Repeat step 4 until your dog is in heel position, then praise him.
6. Slow your pace and give your “Sit” command, just before you come to a stop. Help your dog into the sit if needed.
7. Once your dog is sitting in the heel position, praise and reward him.
8. Release your dog and play briefly, between the heel exercises.
9. Practice the heel command for 3 minutes.
1. Have your dog sitting in heel position, repeat command “Sit,” then step 2 feet in front of him.
2. Return to heel position, after 20 seconds.
3. Praise your dog.
4. Reward and release him after 5 seconds.
5. Play briefly between commands.
6. Perform 3 repetitions of the above sequence. © 2013 GDS