27.2 -- Training Your Dog: Evaluation, Place and Place for Greetings --Session Two Place:
1. Put your dog bed 10 feet away from your dining table.
2. Using the place command, have your dog go to his bed, and give him his favorite toy.
3. Have your dog remain on his bed, while having your meal.
4.When you are finished eating, release your dog and play with him.
Place for Greetings:
1. Place your dog bed 10 feet away from your front door.
2. Allow your dog to relax in the vicinity of the door; he should not be in an obedience command.
3.When your doorbell rings, give your dog the place command, using your Remote Collar, as needed.
4. Praise and reward your dog once he is on the bed.
5. Greet your guest at the door. Your dog should remain on his bed.
6.Wait 2 minutes, or until your dog has settled, and then release him.
7. Allow your dog to politely greet your friend.
8. Perform steps 1 through 7, for a total of 3 repetitions.
TRIPLE CROWN TIPS
Have your dog sit, down or place when you prepare his food. Teach your dog to sit and politely wait before you let him in your car.
Improving Performance: Take 10 minutes to work on the exercises you feel need improvement from session one. Most dogs will bark when someone comes to the door. If you wish to curb this behavior, give your dog the place command as soon as the doorbell rings. He should remain quiet when he is on his place. If you like your dog alerting you to someone at the door, calmly praise him for several seconds, then use a word such as Enough, or Thanks, then give him the place or sit command to help make him quiet.