7.2 -- Training Your Dog: Heel, Sit with Remote, Place with Remote and Down --
Session Two Place:
1. Move your dog bed to a new location in your home or yard.
2. Command your dog go to his place and step 5 feet away. Keep your dog on the bed for 5 minutes.
3. If he breaks the place command, reinforce as in session 1.
1. From the heel position, give your dog the down command, helping him if needed.
2. Repeat the command “Down,” then pivot directly in front of your dog. You should be one foot from your dog’s head.
3. From this position, have him remain in the down for 30 seconds. Praise and reward him every 5 seconds.
4. Return to “Heel Position,” for 5 seconds, then release and play with your dog.
5. Repeat the above sequence 3 times.
TRIPLE CROWN TIPS
Both you and your dog are learning about communication. When training, concentrate on nothing but training, and it will soon be second nature to you and your dog. Always be patient with your dog and yourself during this learning process. Walk perimeter of place. If dog breaks, press and hold stimulation button while guiding dog with leash. Release stimulation button, then praise and reward.