20.2 -- Training Your Dog: Pairing Obedience Commands, and Place --
Session Two Place:
1. Choose an area of your home where you enjoy quiet time. Place the bed in a location that keeps it in your view.
2. Have your dog go to the place, give him a favorite toy once settled.
3. Read a book, watch television, or enjoy a meal, while your dog remains on his place.
4. If your dog breaks the place command, stop what you are doing and reinforce the command using your Remote Collar; help him to the bed, as needed.
5. Release your dog after 15 minutes, and calmly play with him if desired. Then repeat the above sequence for an additional 15 minutes.
6. If your dog appears content to remain on the bed, do not release him until 30 minutes have passed.
Place during quiet time. Dog on place with a toy. Note distance of dog bed to chair. TRIPLE CROWN TIPS
The objective of this exercise is to allow your dog to enjoy and be a part of your quiet time. It is not uncommon for dogs to become so relaxed that they fall asleep during this session. If this occurs, let your dog rest. You and your dog should be enjoying the relationship that proper training provides. Look for every chance to reinforce proper behaviors with plenty of praise and reward. For example, you may find your dog sitting for doors without being asked, praise him for this, and occasionally reward him for actively choosing to be polite. Look for all positive changes in your dog s behavior and be sure to reinforce them with plenty of praise.