21 -- Training Your Dog: Down using Remote Collar, Place when the Doorbell Rings, -- and Training Assessment --
Session One Down using Remote Collar:
1. Give your dog the down command.
2. Pivot in front of your dog and step 2 feet away.
3. If your dog breaks the down position, IMMEDIATELY PRESS AND HOLD THE STIMULATION BUTTON DOWN,AND REPEAT THE COMMAND “DOWN.”
4. Quickly return to your dog, HOLDING THE STIMULATION BUTTON DOWN THE ENTIRE TIME, and help him back into position.
5. IMMEDIATELY RELEASE THE STIMULATION BUTTON AS SOON AS YOUR DOG IS IN THE DOWN POSITION.
6. Steps 3 through 5 should take no more than a few seconds in total.
7. Praise and then reward your dog once he is back into the down position.
8. Repeat the above sequence, until your dog remains in the down position for 20 seconds, without reinforcement.
9. Praise and reward your dog, each time you return to him.
10. Practice for 5 minutes.
Pivot in front of your dog. If dog breaks, press and hold the stimulation button and repeat command. Help dog back into position. Release stimulation button then praise.
TRIPLE CROWN TIPS
Proper timing when reinforcing your commands with corrections, praise or reward is essential to your dog s success. If your dog is having difficulty with the down command, stay by his side until the exercise is clear to him.
When your dog is proficient at the down, move slightly further from him during each session, you should be 6 feet from your dog at the end of lesson 23.
Place when the Doorbell Rings:
1. Place your dog’s bed approximately 10 feet from your front door.
2. Have a person familiar to your dog ring your doorbell or knock on your door.
3. Give your dog the command “Place,” using your Remote Collar, as needed.
4. Greet your friend at the door, while keeping an eye on your dog.
5. If your dog breaks, reinforce the place command using your Remote Collar.
6. Praise and reward your dog after he has remained on his bed for 20 seconds.
7. Release your dog and calmly play with him.
8. Repeat the above sequence for 5 repetitions. Relaxed dog, not on a command. Send dog to place when doorbell rings. Dog remains on place as you answer door. Keep and eye on your dog. If dog breaks, reinforce the place command with Remote Collar, as needed. Praise and reward your dog for returning to the bed.
TRIPLE CROWN TIPS
Move your dog's bed further away from the door each day, until it is back in its original place. Over time, you will be able to send your dog to his place from anywhere in your home.