24 -- Training Your Dog: Down and Place --
Sessions One and Two
1. Have your dog in heel position, holding the long line and transmitter in your right hand.
Your left hand is free to help your dog into the down position.
2. Press and hold the stimulation button on your transmitter, immediately give the
command “Down,” AND CONTINUE TO HOLD THE BUTTON DOWN WHILE HELPING
YOUR DOG INTO POSITION.
3. IMMEDIATELY release the stimulation button as soon as your dog is in the down position
(you should only have to hold the stimulation button down for a few seconds).
4. Praise and reward your dog.
5. Repeat the command “Down,” then pivot and step back 10 feet away from your dog.
6. Use your Remote Collar and long line to reinforce the down command, as needed.
7. Repeat steps 1 through 6, as needed, until your dog has remained in the down position for 3 minutes, without reinforcement.
8. Return to your dog, and praise and reward him. Release your dog after 10 seconds.
9. Repeat the above sequence.
Press and hold the stimulation
button and give down command.
Help dog into position and
release stimulation button as
soon as elbows touch ground.
Praise and reward before
1. Choose an area of your home where you enjoy quiet time.
Place the bed where you can see it.
2. Have your dog go to the place, give him a favorite toy once
3. Read a book, watch television, or enjoy a meal, while your
dog remains on his place.
4. If your dog breaks the place command, stop what you are
doing and reinforce the command using your Remote
Collar; help him to the bed, as needed.
5. Release your dog after 15 minutes, and calmly play with him
if desired.Then repeat the above sequence for an additional
6. If your dog appears content to remain on the bed, do
not release him until 30 minutes have passed.