25.2 -- Training Your Dog: Pairing Obedience Commands, and Down --
Session Two Down:
1. Give your dog the down command, using your Remote Collar and long line, as needed.
2. Praise and reward your dog.
3. Repeat the command “Down,” and then pivot and step back 15 feet away from your dog.
4. If your dog breaks the down command, reinforce the command with the Remote Collar, help him back into position as needed. When he is back in position, RELEASE THE STIMULATION BUTTON AND CALMLY PRAISE your dog once he is in the down position.
5. Return to your dog after 5 minutes.
6. Release your dog after 30 seconds, then play enthusiastically with him.
TRIPLE CROWN TIPS
New locations with additional distractions will be challenging, but should not be overwhelming. Choose an area that will keep your training session safe and fun. Remember to adjust your stimulation levels, frequency of praise, and rewards, according to the level of distraction your dog is working under. If an area proves to have too many distractions, move away, then slowly return to that area. Always end your training sessions on a high note. Stop training and play with your dog as soon as he has accomplished a new level of proficiency. Proper positioning. Quickly return to your dog to help into the down position if he breaks. Once your dog is settled, pivot and step backwards.