26.1 -- Training Your Dog: Evaluation and Place --
Session One Evaluation: The purpose of this session is to evaluate your dog’s training progress. Although this is an evaluation, it is still training. Immediately reinforce your commands using your Remote Collar, if your dog does not respond correctly. Come:
1.With your dog in a safe, quiet, ENCLOSED area, take the leash off your dog. Make sure your dog is wearing his Remote Collar.
2. Let your dog walk up to 20 feet away from you, then call him back using the come command.
3. Praise and reward your dog when he comes to you.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3, for a total of 3 repetitions.
1.Walk with your dog in heel position. Come to a halt after approximately 20 paces; praise and reward your dog when he is in the correct position.
2. Repeat step 1, with a halt after 10 paces.
3.Walk 10 paces in heel position and then make a right turn.
4. Continue heeling. After 10 paces, do a left turn.
5. Come to a halt when your dog is in proper heel position, and then praise and reward him.
6.Walk with your dog in heel position; do an about turn after 20 paces.
7. Continue heeling and do an about turn after 10 paces; release your dog when he is in proper heel position.
8. Play enthusiastically with your dog.
Call your dog using the “Come” command. As dog comes towards you, move backwards and praise. Praise and reward your dog when he returns to you.
TRIPLE CROWN TIPS
There is no need to pass or fail your dog during this evaluation. It is designed to simply make you aware of your dogs strengths and weaknesses up to this point.