03.1 -- Training Your Dog: Down, Come, Sit and Place --
Session One -- Down:
1. Have your dog sitting on your left side.
2. Hold a small treat and the leash in your right hand 12 inches from the snap.
3.While holding the treat in front of your dog’s nose, place your left hand on his shoulders.
4. Give the command “Down” and move the treat toward the ground. Gently push down using a “side to side” rocking motion on your dog’s shoulders, with your left hand.
5. Reward him with a treat as soon as he is in the down position.
6. Release your dog within a few seconds, but before he breaks the down position.
7. Perform 15 repetitions of the down command.
8. Between commands, play calmly with your dog for a few seconds.
TRIPLE CROWN TIPS
Take your time with the down exercise, as it can be one of the most difficult exercises to teach. If your dog tries to eat the treat before he is in the down position, conceal the food between your fingers or in your hand, until he is in the down position. Always use a normal tone of voice. Raising your voice will teach your dog to listen only when you yell at him. Note position of hands and food. Praise and Reward