5.1 -- Training Your Dog: Come using the Remote, Heel with Right Turn, Sit, Place, and Down --
Session One Come using the Remote Collar:
1. Hold your long line in one hand and the transmitter in the other.
2. Press and hold the stimulation button down on your transmitter.
3. Immediately give the command “Come,” HOLDING THE STIMULATION BUTTON DOWN THE ENTIRE TIME.
4. Using your long line, gently guide your dog toward you until he begins to come in your direction.
5. IMMEDIATELY release the stimulation button as soon as he STEPS towards you, and praise him enthusiastically.
6. Quickly move backwards, as he comes to you, praising him the entire time.
7. Praise and reward him when he returns to you.
8. Repeat steps 1 through 7 for 5 repetitions.
You may find your dog turning to you as you step behind him. If this happens, give the command “Come” WITHOUT STIMULATION, and repeat steps 6 and 7.
Heel with Right Turn:
1. Heel forward at a normal pace.
2.With your dog heeling in the correct position, repeat the command “Heel” and turn to your right.
3. If your dog remains in the correct position for the turn praise him. If he is not in the correct position, give him the “Heel” command followed by a “Pop.” Praise him when he is in the correct position.
4. Release your dog after every 2 right turns.
5. Practice heeling with right turns for 5 minutes
TRIPLE CROWN TIPS
Heeling takes practice. Take your time with this exercise, and before you know it you will have a dog that enjoys walking peacefully, by your side, instead of pulling you down the block. The location should be different from lesson 4, but still quiet and free from distraction.