Software Changes - Updating Your Astro 220 SystemOne of the things that has been changing on a pretty regular basis is the Astro Software. The Garmin engineers make improvements in the software all the time. Most folks don't know it, but you can update the software in both your Garmin Astro Hand held and your collar to the most current version by logging into Garmin's website.
Before you begin, you will need to go to Garmin's website and download their "WebUpdater" software.
Updating the Software in the Astro 220 Handheld:
Once you have installed the software on your computer, updating the Astro 220 Handheld is pretty easy.
1. Connect it to your computer with the USB cable, turn it on, and run the WebUpdater software.
2. It will automatically detect your Astro and prompt you through the process step by step.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The GPS software in the Astro handheld is maintained separately from the main unit software. The GPS software controls how satellites are received and tracked while the unit software controls how the unit functions in terms of the user interface and tracking dogs. When running Webupdater, it will update the main unit software and then ask if you want to check for additional updates. The additional updates section is where GPS software updates are located, and we recommend you check for these updates when you update your handheld main unit software.
Updating the Software in the DC Collar Unit:
Updating the software in your DC 40, DC 30, or DC 20 is a little more involved, but not difficult.
1. Connect your Astro 220 Handheld via USB to your computer, turn it on, and run the WebUpdater software.
2. Press the DOG button to pull up the Dog Tracker Screen. If the collar is already synched to the handheld, select the Dog that matches the collar you want to update and press ENTER. (If not, you will need to select "Add New" on the Dog List Screen.)
3. From the Dog Info Screen, press MENU.
4. Turn on your collar and place it where it is touching the handheld.
5. Select "Upgrade Dog Unit."
6. The Handheld should now say "Ready to Communicate with PC...."
7. On your computer, click the "Find Device" button on WebUpdater. Your DC Collar Unit should now show up in the "Device" box. Click "Next" and follow the step by step prompts to update your collar.