Garmin has updated the tracking only Garmin Astro with their latest and greatest software.
When Garmin first introduced dog tracking via GPS they used a 5 second update rate (how often the collar reports its location) and a maximum 10 dogs tracking per handheld.
While this was fine for most of us, many folks were looking for more dogs per unit and everybody wanted faster updates (even though some of us didn't know it at the time).
When Garmin introduced their combination ecollar GPS tracking system, the Alpha, they moved to a 20 dog option with a 2.5 second update rate.
The only issue with making this change was that the folks running Astro systems could not track the collars of the folks running Alpha systems.
While this wasn't the end of the world, it was a bit of a hassle for those of us that like to hunt with others and be able to keep up with their dogs along with our own. Folks had to buy new systems with a combo tracking / ecollar, even if they did not want or need the remote trainer.
All of this is now fixed with the Garmin Astro 430.
The new 430 works off the same 2.5 second update rate and 20 dog option that Garmin uses with the Alpha. This means you can now run a Garmin Astro and track collars running on an Alpha unit at the same time.
The Garmin Astro 430 will track DC50 and T5 (regular and mini) collars. It will also track TT 10 and TT 15 (regular and mini) collars (tracking only -- no stimulation).
There are a couple of downsides, but that is to be expected with any major changes to technology.
The Astro 430 is NOT compatible with Astro 220 or Astro 320 handhelds
The Astro 430 will NOT be able to track DC20, DC30 or DC40 collars
A few other new and cool features include:
Preloaded 100K TOPO map
1 year free subscription to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery
DriveTrack 70 -- track collars in your vehicle on a bigger screen
Fenix Watch 3 -- get notifications and direction info via Bluetooth on your watch
Rechargeable handheld battery option -- add a rechargeable AA battery pack to your Astro handheld and charge it via your USB port
The Garmin T5 tracking collar has several features to help you keep up with your dog:
LED Beacon Lights for added visibility in low-light conditions
Like the Garmin Alpha, the T5 has beacon lights that help you see your dog while he is running at night. These lights also help other folks and oncoming traffic see your dog.
Please note that these lights must be turned on while the T5 collar is close to the handheld.
The Astro 430 can NOT turn the Astro T5 collar lights on at any distance away from the hand held.
Track Astro T5, T5 MINI and DC50 collars PLUS Alpha TT15, TT15 MINI and TT10 Collars
The Astro T5 and Alpha TT 15 collars have the ability to be tracked by either the Astro 430 handheld or the Alpha 100 handheld.
This lets Alpha users who need a system they can use in competitions legally run T5 tracking collars. Also, folks that buy the Astro 430 with T5 collars can continue to use the T5 collars in the future if they ever switch over to the Alpha handheld.
Orange Top Mounted GPS / GLONASS Receiver
To make it easy to tell which collar you are running (T5 vs. TT15), the T5 has an orange top mounted GPS receiver. The TT15, TT10 and the DC 50 all have black GPS receivers.
How the GPS DOG TRACKING SYSTEM Works
The Garmin Astro system consists of two components: a Handheld GPS unit (Garmin Astro 430) which looks like a walkie-talkie and a Dog GPS unit (Astro-T-5).
These two GPS units communicate via radio signals.
The Dog GPS computes its location from the GPS satellites, detects whether your dog is moving or on point, and sends that info to your Handheld GPS every 5 seconds.
The Handheld GPS then plots the exact location of your dog on a map screen, shows distance, and whether your dog is moving or on point.
On your Handheld GPS, the MAP SCREEN shows your location, your dog's location, and the path that your dog has hunted.
Alternately, view your dog(s) on the COMPASS SCREEN which shows your location, your dog's distance and direction.
The COMPASS SCREEN is perfect for running multiple dogs. Add up to 20 dogs to one Handheld GPS system.
All you need are extra T5 DOG GPS collars.
"Works great if that is the only device you are using."
By: Kevin Rivers From LA
Owns 8 dogs. Hunts. The 430 works great if that is the only device you are using. I tried running both the 430 and 320 together and ran into some issues with it. If we just talk about the 430 then performance is great, but I'm sure there are a lot of hunters out there like myself that need to know about the issues when trying to run both handheld units together.
Review ID: 30988
out of 5-stars.
Customer Review #31821
By: Tim Carvenough From WI
Hunts. I really love the peace of mind the Garmin Astro 430 gives me while hunting. I mainly hunt Grouse and Woodcock so we are usually in heavy cover. I have always hunted with a bell and would have the difficult task of finding my dog when she went on point. I have had her 5 yards away and could't find her. With the Astro I always know exactly where she is. The on point notification is awesome. The dog direction and distance screen leads me right to my dog. I know when I am getting close so I can start looking for my dog and also try to look for possible openings for shooting The only draw back I see so far is that the battery system for the hand held could be better. Over all it is easy to use and it is awesome to know where my dog is at all times no matter if she is on the move or on point. Thick cover doesn't seem to be a problem. I would recommend this to anyone who likes to hit the woods with a dog.
Review ID: 31821
out of 5-stars.
Customer Review #32021
By: Ashley Martin From GAI love the Garmin 430. I made the mistake of not getting the trainer combo unit; that would work much better for me. I recommend spending the extra $150 and get the trainer combo. Great Product and great help from GunDogSupply!
Review ID: 32021
out of 5-stars.
Customer Review #32528
By: Bryon Johns From
Hunts. I'm giving 5 stars! It's a great product from Garmin, so far it has worked flawlessly I will strongly recommend this to any coon hunter or any hunting that requires a dog. For that matter, you won't be disappointed.
Review ID: 32528
out of 5-stars.
Customer Review #31167
By: DeQuan York From TXIt's alright.
Review ID: 31167
out of 5-stars.
2016 Garmin Astro 430 + T5 Collar COMBO
Track up to 20 dogs with faster updates, preloaded TOPO maps, Birdseye, dog notifications and more!
Video of Garmin Astro 430 with T5 COMBO (1-dog GPS System)
What's New in the Garmin ASTRO 430 + T5 ComboExpanded Dog Capability -- Track up to 20 dogs from a single Astro 430 handheld
Dog Notifications -- Receive notifications when a dog is "Treed" or "On Point"
GPS / GLONASS -- High sensitivity GPS / GLONASS receiver for increased signal reception
Faster Update Rate -- 2.5 second update rate for faster tracking when dogs are running
Preloaded TOPO 100K -- Includes preloaded TOPO U.S. 100K mapping
BirdsEye -- Includes 1-year free BirdsEye satellite imagery subscription
Hunt Metrics -- Hunt Metrics dog performance data shows distance traveled, time afield and more so you can train your dog more effectively
High Visibility Case -- Bright orange design makes the Astro 430 easier to see in the field
DriveTrack 70 LMT Compatibility -- Compatible GPS navigator lets you track your dogs in your vehicle on a bigger screen
Fenix Watch 3 Compatibility -- Get notifications and direction info via Bluetooth on your watch
Optional Rechargeable Handheld Battery -- add a rechargeable NiMH AA battery pack to your Astro handheld and charge it via your USB port
Multi-dog Collars / Systems:
Read more about Garmin ASTRO 430 + T5 Combo
The Astro 430 with the T5 GPS collar is Garmin's latest generation GPS / GLONASS tracking system for sporting dogs. You can track up to 20 dogs from a single handheld with a range of up to 9 miles. The 2.5 second update rate lets you quickly pinpoint your dog's location. The T5 collar housing is specially designed to keep the flexible braided steel VHF antenna upright for maximum reception.
The 430 handheld gives you enhanced map drawing capabilities with preloaded TOPO U.S. 100K maps, a 1-year Birdseye Satellite Imagery subscription and a 3-axis electronic compass on a 2.6" color screen that is easy to read in all light conditions.
Hunt Metrics dog performance data helps you analyze your dog's tracking patterns and behaviors.
The Garmin Astro is perfect when your dog is not by your side. Hiking, camping, horseback riding or bike riding, the Garmin Astro will allow your dogs more freedom but allow you to keep a close eye on them and help you locate them if they get lost. Since the Garmin Astro 430 serves as a full-featured handheld GPS unit, it will keep you from getting lost, too.
Not available to Canadian addresses. This product is approved for use in the US only. Collar to handheld radio communication may be disabled in Europe and other prohibited areas.
Owner's Manual Download|
Garmin Astro 430 Owner's Manual, downloadable in .pdf format.
to read the Garmin Astro 430 Owner's Manual.
Garmin ASTRO 430 + T5 Combo Transmitter (Remote)
The Garmin Astro 430 handheld contains top-notch features such as a high-sensitivity GPS / GLONASS receiver, long battery life, a bright sunlight readable color display and a rugged IPX7 waterproof exterior.
This unit also offers automatic routing with turn-by-turn directions.
The Garmin Astro 430 has 1.7 Gigabytes internal memory as well as a micro SD card slot (max. 32 GB class 10 or less) so you can add pre-programmed data cards with detailed maps such as TOPO, Inland Lakes, BlueChart and City Navigator, or add more memory by installing a blank MicroSD Card.
Garmin GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 529 IPX7. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.
- GPS + GLONASS satellite reception for better tracking in challenging environments
- Track up to 20 dogs from one handheld with update rates as short as 2.5 seconds
- High visibility orange casing
- Hunt Metrics dog performance data shows distance traveled, time afield and more
- Dog Notifications tell you when your dog is "treed" or "on point"
- Built-in TOPO U.S. 100K mapping and a free 1-year Birdseye Satellite Imagery subscription
- Barometric altimeter and 3-axis electronic compass
- Scratch resistant lens on the 2.6" color 65.1K TFT display with backlit display and keypad
- Resolution: 240 x 160 pixels
- Weight: 9.2 ounces with batteries
- Battery life: 20+ hours using 2 AA batteries (not included)
- High Speed USB mini-B connector for data updates with a PC or Apple Macintosh
- Rugged IPX7 waterproof standards
- Quad helix GPS / GLONASS antenna
- Removeable VHF antenna
- Micro SD card slot (max. 32 GB class 10 or less) available for preprogrammed MapSource mapping detail such as US TOPO, Inland Lakes, BlueChart and City Navigator, or add more memory by installing a blank MicroSD Card
- Stores 1000 waypoints, 50 routes and 10,000 track points
- Area calculation feature
- Compatible with Garmin T5, T5 MINI and DC50 GPS dog tracking collars
- Also compatible with Garmin Alpha TT15, TT15 MINI and TT10 collars (tracking function only)
Garmin ASTRO 430 + T5 Combo Collar
The T-5 relays the dog's position to the handler's Astro 430 with location updates as often as every 2.5 seconds. You can track up to 20 dogs on a single system. Add additional T5s as needed.
The T5 is a GPS TRACKING collar only -- no remote dog training collar features. The T5 can be used alongside DC-50 tracking collars. The T5 is also compatible with the Alpha 100 (tracking only). The T5 is NOT compatible with the Astro 220 handheld.
The T5 comes standard with an orange collar strap. We offer the multi-dog units all with different color straps, and we sell individual T5's in 10 different colors: Orange, Black, Blue, Green, Red, Yellow, White, Silver, Pink, or Violet.
- Beacon Lights for added visibility in low-light conditions
- Compatible with both the Astro 430 and Alpha 100 (tracking function only)
- Top-mounted GPS/GLONASS collar antenna gives you better, faster GPS tracking with increased sensitivity
- Rugged braided-steel VHF antenna can take all the abuse a hunting dog can give it in rough terrain
- Includes both standard 18 1/2" and long range 22 1/2" VHF collar antennas -- perfect for big running hounds
- 24-48 hour run times depending on update rate
- Battery life indicator so you know when you need to recharge your collar
- 4 hour collar charge time
- One piece charging unit means one less thing to lose
- Waterproof to 1 ATM (10 meters)
- USB Port allows easy software updates -- just plug your collar into your computer
- Export additional GPS dog data directly from your collar to your computer
- Live laptop tracking with BaseStation -- bigger screen makes tracking easier
- Rescue Mode kicks in at 25% to save battery life
- Feed-through collar strap design works with any 1" collar strap -- no screws, bolts, or plates needed
- Plastic-coated nylon "Glo" collar strap lasts longer than regular nylon or leather and won't stink
- User replaceable collar strap -- different colors for different dogs
- Fits neck sizes between 13" and 22"
- Solid K-9 metal collar buckle with metal keeper
Astro T5 Collar Dimensions:
- Weight: 9.3 oz with collar strap and antenna
- Height: 1.75 inches
- Width: 3.5 inches
- Depth: 1.85 inches
- 1" wide collar strap
Astro T5 Collar Compatibility:
- Compatible with Astro 430 and Alpha 100 handheld receivers (tracking function only with Alpha)
- Can run on the same system with T5 MINI and DC 50 collars
- NOT compatible with Astro 220 Handheld
Garmin ASTRO 430 + T5 Combo Comes With
- Garmin Astro 430 handheld
- Belt clip
- USB cable
- 5" standard and 13" long range handheld antennas
- T 5 GPS collar transmitter
- User-replaceable Li-Ion collar battery (rechargeable)
- User replaceable orange collar strap
- BRAIDED STEEL VHF 18 1/2" Standard Collar Antenna
- BRAIDED STEEL VHF 22 1/2" Long Range Collar Antenna
- AC adapter
- Vehicle collar charger
- Charging clip
- Quick Start guide
- 1 year Garmin warranty
Features of the Garmin ASTRO 430 + T5 Combo
- High Visibility Design -- Orange handheld casing gives added visibility making the Astro 430 harder to lose in the field.
- LED Beacon Lights -- Beacon lights are built into the T5 Astro collar for low light conditions or night use. Visible up to 100 yards.
- Cross Compatibility -- The T5 tracking collar is compatible both with the Astro 430 AND the Alpha 100. Note that the T5 will only have tracking capability when used with the Alpha. You can also track Alpha TT15, TT15 MINI and TT10 GPS collars with your Astro 430 handheld, although you won't be able to activate the remote training functions.
- GPS and GLONASS Tracking -- The Astro 430 and the T5 collar utilize both GPS and GLONASS satellites for increased sensitivity. The T5's top-mounted antenna gives you improved signal reception, and the antenna's orange color makes it easy to distinguish during competitions that don't allow stimulation, tone or vibration.
- AKC Competition Approved -- The AKC Performance Events Department has approved the Garmin T5 collar for use in pointing breed field trials and hunting tests.
- Regular AND Long-Range Antennas Included -- You get both regular and long range antennas both for your Astro 430 handheld AND your T5 GPS collar. That's 4 antennas altogether! Configure your system to meet your specific needs.
- Hunt Metrics -- Hunt Metrics dog performance data shows distance traveled, time afield and more so you can train your dog more effectively.
- Rescue Mode -- When the battery on a tracking collar dies, finding a missing a dog gets a lot more difficult. When the collar battery drops to 25% life, RESCUE MODE changes the update rate to a 2-minute ping to extend battery life which gives you the maximum amount of hours to find a lost dog. Rescue mode is not the default setting. You have to turn it on under SETTINGS. I can't think of a good reason NOT to run your collar in rescue mode because there's no downside to using it.
- Multi-Dog Tracking -- Track up to 20 dogs with additional Garmin T5 collars. Tracking range is up to 9 miles, delivering location data as often as every 2.5 seconds.
- Preloaded Mapping -- The Astro 430 comes preloaded with TOPO U.S. 100K mapping plus a 1-year subscription to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery.
- MicroSD Slot -- You can use the MicroSD slot to add TOPO U.S. 24K, City Navigator, and more (each available separately), or add more memory by installing a blank MicroSD Card.
- Live Laptop Tracking using BaseStation -- Using BaseStation, you can take your handheld while you're tracking dogs and plug it into your computer, letting you view your dogs on your laptop's screen. HOW TO: First download Garmin's Base Station Software. Then plug your handheld into your computer's USB port to see the Tracking screen on your computer. We've got guys that are working out of vehicles and they are tired of looking at a small screen all the time. They want to set up a computer in their vehicle and be able to view the tracking. You still use a handheld to track, but view your dogs on your laptop screen instead of a small handheld. Garmin says it'll track on the computer "real-time," but it's the same update rate that you have on your system -- 2.5, 5, 10, 30, or 120 seconds between updates.
- Downloads -- Using the Waypoints and Tracks and the Dog Tracks feature from the Astro Handheld you can download your days hunt into your PC using either MapSource or Motionbased.com to see your hunt on a topo map or Google Earth. This allows you to see the ground that you and your dog actually cover in a day's hunt on a map.
- Covey Counter -- The Garmin Astro also allows you to mark the exact location of your coveys using a special waypoint feature. This will allow you to place your coveys on a map and mark the time of day, elevation, number of birds in the covey and number of birds taken from a covey.
- Icons -- Astro also comes with waypoint icons designed for hunting, letting you mark and identify additional waypoints such as your truck, hunting lodge, food plots, cover, ATVs and other outdoor-related features.
- Additional Uses -- While the Garmin Astro is designed for the hunting dog, many of our customers that don't hunt but enjoy spending time outdoors with their dogs and allowing them to run off leash will find the Astro incredibly useful.
Garmin ASTRO 430 + T5 Combo Batteries
The Astro Handheld unit uses AA batteries (not included). Average run time is 20+ hours.
Optional Astro NiMH Battery Pack can be charged inside the 430 handheld via USB.
The T5 collar features a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that gives a 24-48 hour run time depending on selected update rate.
Collar Battery Run Time Chart
- ~24 hours with 2.5 second update rate
- ~34 hours with 5 second update rate
- ~38.5 hours with 10 second update rate
- ~42.5 hours with 30 second update rate
- ~48 hours with 120 second update rate
It's really tricky to give exact run times on the Garmin Astro T5 because there are so many variables. Collar battery run time is most affected by update rate and whether or not you use the Beacon Lights.
Garmin ASTRO 430 + T5 Combo Range
The Garmin Astro transmitter and receiver have a "line of sight" range of up to 9 miles using the included long-range antenna.
The Astro communicates using a VHF radio signal between the Dog GPS collar and the Handheld GPS unit, so to get the full range out of a system there should be nothing between the transmitter and the receiver.
Realistically, this isn't going to happen in most of the places that we spend time with our dogs, so the actual usable range will be MUCH less than 9 miles depending on hunting conditions, including weather, terrain, and the presence of cover.
Garmin ASTRO 430 + T5 Combo Accessories -- SOLD SEPARATELY
Sometimes referred to as the Garmin Astro 420.
- DriveTrack 70 LMT Compatibility -- Connect your Astro 430 handheld to this compatible GPS navigator via Bluetooth so you can track your dogs on a bigger screen while in your vehicle.
- Fenix Watch 3 Compatibility -- Get notifications and direction info from your 430 handheld via Bluetooth on your watch.
- Tempe Compatibility -- Receive ambient temperature information on your handheld
- Optional Rechargeable Battery -- Add a rechargeable NiMH AA battery pack to your Astro handheld and charge it via your USB port.
Related Products & Content: Garmin ASTRO 430 + T5 Combo
Garmin 010-01635-00 753759163105