SportDOG TEK GPS Tracking Collar
TRACKING ONLY (Add E-collar functionality later)
Temporarily sold out. Please call for more information.
Want to track and train from the same TEK system? Check out the SportDOG TEK LT.
Introducing the new SportDOG Tek Series -- a new GPS dog tracking product.
This is the GPS only portion of the TEK series. It is designed to allow you to track only but has the option of adding the Ecollar Remote training portion at any point.
The TEK is quick and easy to operate, the design is well thought out, and works for tracking a large selection of dogs.
Whether you run hounds, beagles, or upland pointing dogs, the TEK L lets you keep track of the location and status of up to 12 dogs. Plus, if you want to add training capabilities later, just add the TEK Remote Training Module -- it lets you track and train from the same collar.
Lightweight, compact design
Waterproof and submersible to 25 feet
Internal GPS antenna
Backlit LCD screen
3 Axis tilt compensated compass
Rechargeable, user replaceable handheld battery
Multifunction buttons can be customized based on your preferences
20 hours of usage on a single charge
GPS Tracking Features:
Waterproof and submersible to 25 feet
GPS functionality including multiple waypoints
75 mi. diameter screen with autoscaling
Dog status - On Point or Treed
Rechargeable, Factory replaceable GPS battery
Track up to 12 dogs at one time
GPS whip antenna
2 Hour Charge time
Warranty - 2 years
Read Steve's complete SportDOG TEK REVIEW here, or compare TEK to GARMIN ASTRO here.
GPS Dog Tracking on the SportDOG TEK
Keep track of your hunting dogs at a distance, even in heavy cover.
Know exactly where your hunting dog is and what he is doing.
A single TRACKING SCREEN shows all your dogs, direction, and distance from you.
(The TEK does NOT have a dog trail or track history, so you can't see where the dog has been, but all this info on one screen makes up for that.)
HANDHELD GPS (Transceiver) Features:
- Backlit LCD screen
- 3 Axis tilt compensated compass
- Rechargeable, user replaceable handheld battery
- 20 hours of usage on a single charge
- GPS functionality including multiple waypoints
- Dog status - On Point or Treed
- Track up to 12 dogs at one time
GPS COLLAR: Features:
- Rechargeable, factory-replaceable GPS battery
- GPS whip antenna
GPS BATTERY on SportDOG TEK Collars
- Uses a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery pack.
- Average battery charge life is 25 hours.
- Allow 2 hours for a complete charge for a fully drained battery.
The SportDOG TEK series tracking collar will get around 25 hours of run time staring with a 2.5 second update rate and slowing to a longer update rate as the battery becomes depleted. The SportDOG TEK E-collar module runs off of a separate battery and use of the ecollar will not effect battery life of the tracking collar.
Collar Battery Runtime vs Update Rate
Battery life on a GPS collar is based on the "update rate" -- how often the GPS collar radios back location to the Handheld.
The slower the update rate, the longer the battery life. A slower update rate also means that you have longer gaps of time between knowing the exact location of your dog.
Most folks want a combination of the fastest possible update rate with the longest possible battery life. The SportDOG Tek collar starts out with a 2.5 second update rate. As the battery life gets lower the Tek collar automatically slows the update rate to conserve battery life.
SportDOG Tek collar does not allow you the option of changing the update rate. The advantage of the Tek collar is that while you are hunting (the first 10 hours of the battery) you have the fastest possible update rate at 2.5 seconds.
- First 10 hours of runtime - 2.5 second update rate
- Next 5 hours of runtime - 10 second update rate
- Next 10 hours of runtime - 25 second update rate
- Total battery runtime - 25 hours
After 10 hours, the collar slows the update rate to stretch out the battery life. The assumption here is that once you have passed the 10 to 15 hour mark, you are no longer hunting, but you are looking for a lost dog.
The other thing to keep in mind is that with the way the TEK collar goes about setting the update rate, you are really required to charge the collar every time before you hunt. If you don't, you will have a substantially slower update rate on your second day of hunting.
The SportDOG TEK transmitter and receiver have a "line of sight" range of up to seven miles. The SportDOG TEK communicates using a VHF radio signal between the Dog GPS collar and the Handheld GPS unit, so to get the full range out of a system there should be nothing between the transmitter and the receiver.
Realistically, this isn't going to happen in most of the places that we spend time with our dogs, so the actual usable range will be less than 7 miles depending on hunting conditions, including weather, terrain, and the presence of cover.
SportDOG Tek can mark up to 20 waypoint location. It also has the option of marking a Starting point which can be used to locate your vehicle in the field.
How SportDOG GPS works:
SportDOG TEK GPS system consists of two parts: a Handheld GPS and a Dog GPS collar
Add up to 12 dogs to the Tek Handheld GPS system. All you need are extra TEK collars.
- GPS collar gets location from GPS satellites
- GPS Collar sends location update to Handheld via radio signals
- GPS Collar updates Handheld every 2.5 seconds
- Handheld plots location of you and your dog
- Dog Tracking Screen shows you and your dog's location including:
- dog's distance from you,
- dog's direction
- dog's activity (moving, on point or treed).
SportDOG Tek Anatomy
There are three parts to the TEK: the handheld, the GPS collar, and the e-collar. All are independent from one another. The transmitter speaks to the e-collar, and the GPS speaks back to the handheld as a receiver. The Tek GPS and remote collar are independent receivers docked together on one collar strap.
GPS Collar Strap is made of durable rubber. The wires that connect the GPS antenna to the electronics are embedded in the rubber for protection. If you need to make it smaller depending on the size of your dogs, you can cut it very easily along the grooves designed into the strap.
The Handheld transceiver weighs 6.7 ounces
- 5" tall with long ant removed.
- 9.25" with ant installed
- 2.25" wide
- 1 3/16th" thick
- Fits 14" - 22" neck sizes
- 25" overall length (approx) x 1.25 wide (strap)
DOG GPS Tracking Collar Only
Tracking Collar only with strap and antenna weighs 8 oz.
- 3.75" long
- 1.25" wide (front to back)
- 1.25" thick with base installed
SportDOG TEK Comes With:
- Tek Handheld
- Lanyard for the transmitter
- Transmitter antenna
- Active SportDOG TEK GPS collar transmitter with strap and whip style antenna
- Adjustable black collar strap with square roller buckle which fits up to a 22" neck
- Factory replaceable, rechargeable batteries in the collar
- Multi-lead battery charger -- Save time because you can charge both the GPS collar and transmitter at the same time from one plug
- SportDOG Owner's Manual / Operating Guide
- Backed by a Two Year Manufacturer Warranty
Quick Start Manual Download|
TEK 1.0 L Quick Start Manual, downloadable in .pdf format.
to read the TEK 1.0 L Quick Start Manual.
Owner's Manual Download|
TEK 1.0 L Owner's Manual, downloadable in .pdf format.
to read the TEK 1.0 L Owner's Manual.
Not available to Canadian Addresses.