NOTE: Garmin Alpha and Astro handhelds are limited to MicroSD cards no bigger than 32GB, class 10 or less.
Birdseye Satellite Imagery is a software program available through Garmin that allows you to view satellite imagery on your Alpha 100 or Astro 430 / 320 handheld. You are required to download the software onto your computer and then transfer the imagery to your handheld.
Alpha 100 and Astro 430 tracking systems include a free 1-year subscription to Birdseye. Astro 320 systems do not, so to use it you must either purchase a prepaid card which provides a code that allows access to the software online or you can purchase the software direct from Garmin's website. The following instructions are the steps required to install the imagery on your handheld.
1. First you need to activate your Birdseye Satellite Imagery online with Garmin. Select here if you were given a card with a product key. Select here if you would like to purchase a one-year subscription directly from Garmin. After you activate your subscription and your device is registered, you will be prompted to download "BaseCamp", a free software program from Garmin that is required to transfer the satellite imagery to your handheld. Download and install the BaseCamp software onto your computer and continue to the next step.
2. Plug the device into your computer with the USB cable that was included when you purchased your system and open BaseCamp.
3. Sign into your Garmin account ID to verify your purchases with BaseCamp.
4. Click the tools menu and select Birdseye tool. You may need to click on My Collection to be able to select Birdseye.
5. A window will appear and prompt you to select your device. Click next to continue.
6. Select BirdsEye Imagery Subscription from the drop down list and click next.
7. Use the tools provided to choose the area you wish to download.
8. Give your selection a name and choose the detail level, then click Download. (If your "Download" button is not available then you must decrease the size of your image until the button reappears. You can get the area you have missed by creating another image file after saving this one.)
9. Click Finish. Another window will appear giving you the status of the download. (You can select "Copy imagery to device after downloaded" to skip manually sending it to your device)
10. Once your download is complete, your saved file is now in "My Collection" and ready to be transferred to your device. Right-click on your saved file name and click "Send To".
11. A window will pop up and prompt you to select your destination. Select your device and click on the folder called "Internal Storage", then click OK. (You can choose to save your image to an external card only if you have one installed in your device.)
12. You will see a green checkmark on the folder named "Internal Storage" once the transfer has completed.
13. To select the map on your device first disconnect your device from the computer and close the USB plug, then power on your device.
- ON THE ASTRO -- Press the "Map" button to open the map, then press the "Menu" button. Then use the directional pad to select the "Setup Map" menu. Then scroll down to the box that says "Map Information" and press Enter. The Birdseye Imagery will be stored under the Digital Globe section. You can highlight the section and press enter to select Enable or Disable to view or hide the imagery on the map screen. Press the "Map" button to return to your map screen.
- ON THE ALPHA -- Press the Map icon in the upper left corner of the home screen, then press the Menu icon at the bottom of the screen. Press "Setup Map" and then press "Map Information." Press "Birdseye Satellite Imagery" and select Enable or Disable to view or hide the imagery on the map screen. Press the Back icon at the bottom of the screen to return to your map screen.