Aids in removing porcupine quills from the back or roof of the mouth, tongue, and gums.
No risk to you. Your 100% Satisfaction is Guaranteed with our 30 Day "No Questions" Money Back Guarantee. Hassle-free returns & exchanges.
For emergency use only. Veterinary assistance should be sought before using this tool.
The Quill Jig is constructed of nylon rods threaded into an aluminum frame with a quick-release neck strap. This jig aids in effectively removing quills from the back or roof of the mouth, tongue, and gums in the chance your dog encounters a porcupine.
Includes a roll of bandaging tape (tape color may vary).
Manufacturer Instructions for Using the Quill Jig (the help of an extra person is advised):
1. First, you will likely need to restrain the dog by securing its feet together with Vetrap (included), Coban, or some other easily removable tape. Lay the dog on very soft, comfortable bedding.
2. Place the Quill Jig in the dog's mouth, with the threaded pegs nearly touching in the center. Place in the back of the mouth, but do not force beyond the molars (the teeth in the back of the mouth.) Most dogs, even those that are a bit hyper, once their feet are restrained and the Quill Jig is in their mouth, will become compliant and assume a submissive and cooperative disposition. If the dog is thrashing with its paws and/or shaking its head, proceeding with the quill jig is not advised. The dog will need to be seen by a veterinarian.
3. Fasten with the Quick Release Buckle. It should be snug, but there is no need to pull it extra tight.
4. Once the Quill Jig is secured in the dog's mouth, turn the knobs on each nylon peg out (counter-clockwise) to the extent that they are out as far as possible, but still supported by the dog's molars. This will provide ample access to the roof of the mouth and back of the tongue. If you extract a peg too far and need to twist a peg back in toward the center of the mouth, you will either need to hold the dog's lip/gums out of the way, or remove the strap and jig from the dog's mouth, re-center the pegs, and start over.
5. To gain access in either back corner of the mouth, one peg can be adjusted "in" and the other "out" if necessary. You will need to loosen the Quill Jig and re-secure in order to do this.
GUN DOG SUPPLY - "Serving Hunting & Field Dog Owners Nationally Since 1972."
Order online via Secure Server or call 1-800-624-6378 to order! GDS Warehouse, 17645 U.S. Highway 82, Mathiston, Mississippi, 39752 USA.